If you're focused on depreciation rates, you may find that a travel trailer is a better choice, as they tend to hold their value a little better over time. But the difference isn't large, and you may very well find that a motorhome is a better fit for your RV lifestyle. Remember that at the end of the day, you're not buying an RV for its resale value: You're buying it to use and enjoy.
What Factors Affect RV Resale Value?
- Driving Off the Lot: The best way to limit depreciation is to buy a used RV. It's a known fact that new RVs lose the most value immediately after purchase.
- Age: The older an RV is, the more value it loses. A 10-year-old motorhome may lose up to 70% of its original value. This is good news for those in the market for a used RV but bad news for people trying to sell an older motorhome.
- Mileage: Similar to age, the more miles you put on a new RV, the less that RV will be worth when it comes time to sell.
- Water Damage: Interiors are important to potential RV buyers. Any water damage to the floor, ceiling, upholstery, cabinets, or other fixtures will depreciate the overall value.
- Other Wear and Tear: Damaged fixtures, dents, dings, scratches to the exterior, or faulty appliances will lower a motorhome's selling price.
Which Motorhomes Hold Their Value?
In general, Class B motorhomes hold their value better than Class A or C motorhomes. A Class B motorhome features a good mix of practical and luxury features, and these vehicles are a bit easier to drive as well. You may also want to look for a motorhome from a well-known and highly regarded brand, as these tend to have higher resale values. Airstream motorhomes have some of the highest resale values out there: This classic brand helped popularize motorhomes today, and they're known for being well-designed and a good value for the money. Many fans love their vintage look and chrome, though not every model looks like this if you want to opt for something more modern.
Which Travel Trailer Has the Best Resale Value?
Like with motorhomes, brand recognition can matter when it's time to sell. Brands that tend to hold their value the best include Jayco, Airstream, and Winnebago.
At Lazydays, we carry a wide selection of the best RVs of all types, and we can even help you when it's time to sell your RV. Contact us today to see how we can help you buy, sell, or trade in an RV: We'd love to put our expertise to work for you!